The Pulpwood Queens of Charleston, South Carolina (above)
Buryl Baty (1924–1954) was a winning athlete, coach, builder of men, and an early pioneer in the fight against bigotry. In 1950, Baty became head football coach at Bowie High School in El Paso and quickly inspired his athletes, all Mexican Americans from the Segundo Barrio, with his winning ways and his personal stand against the era’s extreme, deep-seated bigotry—to which they were subjected.
However, just as the team was in a position to win a third district title in 1954, they were jolted by an unthinkable tragedy that turned their world upside down. Later, as mature adults, these players realized that Coach Baty had helped mold them into honorable and successful men, and forty-four years after the coach’s death, they dedicated their high school stadium in his name.
In 2013, Baty was inducted posthumously into the El Paso Athletic Hall of Fame.
In this poignant memoir, R. Gaines Baty also describes his own journey to get to know his father. Coach Baty’s life story is portrayed from the perspectives of nearly one hundred individuals who knew him, in addition to many documented facts and news reports.
- The Pulpwood Queens Talks About Newly Discovered Author/Poet Clifford Brooks and On The Road Again! - November 10, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Inspirations for our HOW THE WEST WAS WON themed 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - November 3, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces Tiajuana Anderson Neel is NEW Executive Director of The Pulpwood Queen Book Club Reading Nation! - October 31, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces BEST BOOKS TO HAVE READ FOR 2018! - October 27, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Welcomes Guest Blogger and Author, Michelle Cox! - October 26, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen UPDATED Press Release for 2019 Girlfriend Weekend Program! - October 21, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces New York Times Bestselling Author, Paula McLain CONFIRMED for 2019 Girlfriend Weekend! - October 17, 2018
- Breaking News! The 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend is Back Home In Jefferson, Texas! - October 16, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Welcomes Guest Blogger, Author Camille Di Maio! - October 15, 2018
- BREAKING NEWS! The Pulpwood Queen Announces NEW VENUE for 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - October 3, 2018