This has been quite a month. Seems like my head has hardly hit the pillow when it is time for me to hit the road to my next big adventure. This week, headed to Mt. Pleasant, Northeast Texas Community College to be exact as have my FIRST solo exhibition BOOKLAND at The Whatley Callery and Center. Perhaps those in the area can grab a friend and come hear me speak on my art!
Kathy L. Murphy at The Whatley Gallery at Northeast Texas Community College
The Northeast Texas Community College Art Department will host its first exhibit of 2018 February 5-28 in the foyer of the Whatley Center for the Performing Arts. The show, Bookland, will feature ceramics and alcohol ink/India ink panels by artist and author, Kathy L. Murphy.
A reception with the artist will be held Tuesday, February 13 at 12:30 a.m. in the Whatley Center foyer.
Murphy’s artwork is created hoping the viewer will be transformed and transported to other worlds sparked by their own experiences and imagination. Her art stems from a childhood spent outside enveloped in nature and in the imaginations of those that occurred from a lifetime of reading books. Murphy works primarily in alcohol and India ink paintings and hand-built raku ceramics.
Murphy founded The Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys Book Clubs, the largest “meeting and discussion” book club in the world that began when she in 2000 when she opened its headquarters Beauty and the Book, the only hair salon/bookstore in the country. Murphy is the author of The Pulpwood Queen’s Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life. Following the exhibit, one of the pieces on display in the Whatley Center will be placed in the permanent collection of the University of Texas at Tyler, where Murphy received her bachelor’s degree,
The exhibit is free and open to the public Monday–Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon. Please call 903-434-8181 before visiting to ensure that the gallery is open for viewing.
Bring a friend; bring a family member. I look forward to seeing you there.
Associate Professor of Art
Northeast Texas Community College
2886 FM 1735 | PO Box 1307
Mount Pleasant, TX 75455
Instagram @ntccart http://www.ntcc.edu/art
February 15th, Thursday, traveling with Tijuana Anderson Neel to McKinney (Dallas area), Texas to start yet another PUlpwood Queens and Timber Guys Book Club Chapter. Here is the information on that event if you would like to join us!
For anyone living in the McKinney, Allen, Plano, Frisco, Dallas, Tx area:
A new book club
Msg me for the address
Many of you know my love of books….well, GOOD books! You have seen my posts the last two years about going to The Pulpwood Queens Girlfriends’ Weekend.
The Pulpwood Queens has over 700 book club charters, and one is starting here in McKinney! Founder of Pulpwood Queens, Kathy Murphy will be at this first meeting. Her good friend and righthand, Tiajuana Neel will be here, also!
The book choice for February:
A Second Blooming: Becoming the Women We Are Meant to Be (Mercer University Press, February 13, 2017) Susan Cushman, editor
A Second Blooming is a collection of essays by twenty-one authors who are emerging from the chrysalis they built for their younger selves and transforming into the women they are meant to be. These women of all ages have made it over a wall to find their true selves. This transformation—this blooming—doesn’t happen organically, without the application of a tremendous amount of creative energy and action on our part. As E.E. Cummings said, “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”
(Contributors to the book: Anne Lamott, Mary Karr, Cassandra King, Natasha Trethewey, Beth Ann Fennelly, Julie Cantrell, Jennifer Horne, Wendy Reed, River Jordan, Jessica Handler, Kathy Rhodes, Kim Michele Richardson, Sally Palmer Thomason, Ellen Morris Prewitt, Emma French Connolly, Nina Gaby, Alexis Paige, NancyKay Sullivan Wessman, Suzanne Henley, Susan Marquez, Jennifer Bradner)
Find out a little more about Pulpwood Queens and 2018 book selections:
- Breaking News! The 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend is Back Home In Jefferson, Texas! - October 16, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Welcomes Guest Blogger, Author Camille Di Maio! - October 15, 2018
- BREAKING NEWS! The Pulpwood Queen Announces NEW VENUE for 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - October 3, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Is Now Accepting Bids for 2020 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - September 30, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is Beginning to See the Fruits of her Book Clubs “Literacy” Promoting Labors! - September 24, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen to be featured in New magazine, FENCEPOST! - September 22, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Declares Happy Book Birthday to OUR PRINCE OF SCRIBES! - September 18, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces, “I’m going to be a grandma, call me Mama Kat! - September 11, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is an Artist Sharing my Joy of Painting with all of YOU! - September 10, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces Poet, Tim Conroy Will do a Special Presentation at our 2019 Girlfriend Weekend! - September 6, 2018