Yesterday, Tiajuana Anderson Neel and I headed to Texas A & M University in Commerce, Texas to speak to the Silver Leos Writers Guild invited by Sharon Lamkin Feldt. This past Saturday they had done a fundraiser for my dear friend the late great Dr. Fred Tarpley who amongst many things wrote one of the best books on Jefferson, Texas out there. Featured at that conference were Pulpwood Queen Book Club Authors, Bobbi Kornblit and Reavis Wortham, who will be my co-host at the next up-and-coming 19th annual Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys book club convention that we call Girlfriend Weekend. I have been invited to be a speaker next year! They also are starting a Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys chapter coming up in Sulphur Springs, Texas so stay tuned. Email me if you are interested at my address below.
Now nothing thrills me more than speaking on anything to do with authors, books, literacy, and reading but yesterday’s talk was on first, who I was and second, how authors can market and promote their books. The group was very receptive and I actually learned a lot too, I always do. But what is most important about speaking to writers and authors is the conversation, the human connection of the power of the story. I thank the Silver Leos Writers Guild for the wonderful meal, (killer red beans and rice made from my new New Orleans friend, Suzette), and reception.
On the road again today to attend The Pulpwood Queens of Collin County, Texas in McKinney at the Red Gate Inn Bed and Breakfast. We have Pulpwood Queen Book Club Author, Lorna Lankvik Facetiming in and from what I hear, we are going to have quite a crowd. Leaving soon with Tiajuana Anderson Neel, what would I do without this dear friend who took all the photos below.
What I love most about visiting with “book” people is nothing beats a real conversation, person to person. In today’s time, we spend way too much time texting, on social media, and less and less time having a real conversation. I spent my entire childhood listening to my grandparent’s telling me stories. We are the only animal on this planet that shares stories and it is what makes us human. Also, real conversations include kindness and civility which is lost on social media. So if you want to make the world a better place, won’t you join us as we share the stories of authors around the world. Memberships are available at www.thepulpwoodqueens.com and that has benefits, you get to receive the discounted price of attending our annual book club conference, 2019 Girlfriend Weekend, January 17th – 19th, at The Fredonia Hotel & Convention Center in the oldest town in Texas, historic Nacogdoches! The theme next year is HOW THE WEST WAS WON, through reading of course. Packages are available for purchase as long as they last too on the website, click Girlfriend Weekend on top menu and scroll to buttons to purchase. We are Back in NAC, the price goes up May 1st, and the book club that gets the most people to come from now until then gets a visit from the Pulpwood Queen herself and her trusty bookloving sidekick, Tiajuana Anderson Neel.
See you all soon and like Willie Nelson, singing “On the Road Again”!
Truly, Tiara Wearing and Book Sharing,
Kathy L. Murphy
Founder of the Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys Book Club Reading Nation
- The Pulpwood Queen Reporting from the Road on Yet another ROAD TRIP with Tiajuana! - February 14, 2019
- Breaking News! The Pulpwood Queen Announces Official 2019 Book Club Selections and More! - January 22, 2019
- The Pulpwood Queen FINAL Press Release for 2019 Girlfriend Weekend Program! - December 29, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen’s #1 New Year’s Resolution is to OWN IT! - December 19, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Heads Book Club Members Up, Moves Them out, RAWHIDE to East Texas! - December 17, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Sharing her LOVE for All Things Jason Momoa! - December 13, 2018
- 2019 Official Program for Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend Book Club Convention! - December 4, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is Doing Multiple Literary Events starting TODAY! - November 15, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queens Talks About Newly Discovered Author/Poet Clifford Brooks and On The Road Again! - November 10, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Inspirations for our HOW THE WEST WAS WON themed 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - November 3, 2018