Yesterday, Tiajuana Anderson Neel and I headed to Texas A & M University in Commerce, Texas to speak to the Silver Leos Writers Guild invited by Sharon Lamkin Feldt. This past Saturday they had done a fundraiser for my dear friend the late great Dr. Fred Tarpley who amongst many things wrote one of the best books on Jefferson, Texas out there. Featured at that conference were Pulpwood Queen Book Club Authors, Bobbi Kornblit and Reavis Wortham, who will be my co-host at the next up-and-coming 19th annual Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys book club convention that we call Girlfriend Weekend. I have been invited to be a speaker next year! They also are starting a Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys chapter coming up in Sulphur Springs, Texas so stay tuned. Email me if you are interested at my address below.
Now nothing thrills me more than speaking on anything to do with authors, books, literacy, and reading but yesterday’s talk was on first, who I was and second, how authors can market and promote their books. The group was very receptive and I actually learned a lot too, I always do. But what is most important about speaking to writers and authors is the conversation, the human connection of the power of the story. I thank the Silver Leos Writers Guild for the wonderful meal, (killer red beans and rice made from my new New Orleans friend, Suzette), and reception.
On the road again today to attend The Pulpwood Queens of Collin County, Texas in McKinney at the Red Gate Inn Bed and Breakfast. We have Pulpwood Queen Book Club Author, Lorna Lankvik Facetiming in and from what I hear, we are going to have quite a crowd. Leaving soon with Tiajuana Anderson Neel, what would I do without this dear friend who took all the photos below.
What I love most about visiting with “book” people is nothing beats a real conversation, person to person. In today’s time, we spend way too much time texting, on social media, and less and less time having a real conversation. I spent my entire childhood listening to my grandparent’s telling me stories. We are the only animal on this planet that shares stories and it is what makes us human. Also, real conversations include kindness and civility which is lost on social media. So if you want to make the world a better place, won’t you join us as we share the stories of authors around the world. Memberships are available at www.thepulpwoodqueens.com and that has benefits, you get to receive the discounted price of attending our annual book club conference, 2019 Girlfriend Weekend, January 17th – 19th, at The Fredonia Hotel & Convention Center in the oldest town in Texas, historic Nacogdoches! The theme next year is HOW THE WEST WAS WON, through reading of course. Packages are available for purchase as long as they last too on the website, click Girlfriend Weekend on top menu and scroll to buttons to purchase. We are Back in NAC, the price goes up May 1st, and the book club that gets the most people to come from now until then gets a visit from the Pulpwood Queen herself and her trusty bookloving sidekick, Tiajuana Anderson Neel.
See you all soon and like Willie Nelson, singing “On the Road Again”!
Truly, Tiara Wearing and Book Sharing,
Kathy L. Murphy
Founder of the Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys Book Club Reading Nation
- The Pulpwood Queen Declares Happy Book Birthday to OUR PRINCE OF SCRIBES! - September 18, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces, “I’m going to be a grandma, call me Mama Kat! - September 11, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is an Artist Sharing my Joy of Painting with all of YOU! - September 10, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces Poet, Tim Conroy Will do a Special Presentation at our 2019 Girlfriend Weekend! - September 6, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Morning Musing Since Turning 62! - August 29, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Updates On Our Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend And Featuring New Author Discoveries! - August 22, 2018
- Updates from The Pulpwood Queen on Author/Designer, Phebe Phillips and Mac Hargrove AND MORE BREAKING NEWS! - August 14, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen to be be featured in the book, “OUR PRINCE OF SCRIBES! - August 13, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen says, “If a picture is a thousand words, I say here is a whole tome!” - August 12, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Big REVEAL! Check out the Inside of my NEW GLAMPER! - August 9, 2018