Kathy L. Murphy is currently working on her second book, The Pulpwood Queen Goes Back to School. Sponsored by Random House Publishing, Murphy is the host of her own YouTube talk show called Beauty and the Book Show. Her first book has been optioned by DreamWorks and she is currently in negotiations for yet another online talk show. For more about her book club and her annual book club convention, Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend, go to BeautyAndTheBook.com!
3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m.
State Capitol Building, Senate Chamber
The Pulpwood Queen Presents Her Book Club Authors to Discuss Book Marketing
4:15 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Barnes & Noble Bookselling Tent
The Pulpwood Queens’ Tiara Wearing, Book Sharing Guide to Life
When licensed cosmetologist turned publisher’s rep Kathy Patrick lost her job due to industry cutbacks, she wasn’t deterred. One year later, she opened Beauty and the Book, the world’s only combination beauty salon/bookstore. Soon after, she founded The Pulpwood Queens of East Texas — a reading group that dared to ask the question, “Does a book club have to be snobby to be serious?” The idea spread like wildfire. Now there are about 70 chapters nationwide. The overriding rule — aside from wearing the club’s official tiara, hot pink, and leopard print outfits — is that the groups must have fun. The club’s mission: To get America reading.
The Pulpwood Queens’ Tiara Wearing, Book Sharing Guide to Life celebrates female friendship, sisterhood, and the transformative power of reading. It includes life principles and motivational anecdotes, hilarious and heart-warming stories of friendships among the Queens, and stories from Kathy about the books that have inspired her throughout her life, complete with personalized suggested book lists.
Louisiana Book Festival WordShops
October 27, 2017, Baton Rouge
State Library of Louisiana
The WordShop component of the Louisiana Book Festival offers writing WordShops emphasizing craft. Faculty, both local and national, are highly credentialed and have a commitment to teaching. WordShops are serious educational experiences presented in a supportive, informal environment, appropriate for both novice and advanced writers as well as anyone who enjoys books and good conversation.
Equally important is the development of the Louisiana community of students and teachers who support art in literature as well as one another’s pursuits. The Louisiana Book Festival WordShops function under the assumption that everyone is creative and anyone can write. We offer the tools to craft your work. We respect you and your writing, and whatever your writing background, we treat you like a professional and strive to boost your confidence to create. The varied backgrounds that students can bring to the classroom enrich the creative process for everyone; we welcome a diverse mix of participants.
9 a.m. to Noon
- No World Like Mine presented by Joshilyn Jackson
- Here Comes Trouble presented by Michael Farris Smith
1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Make Me a Hummingbird of Words: Salvos into the World of Micro-Memoirs presented by Beth Ann Fennelly
- The Pulpwood Queen Talks Book Promotion: How to Market Your Book
for Big Book Sales and Be Treated Royally When Your Book Debuts presented by Kathy Murphy
- Writing with Voice presented by Jeff Zentner
To register for a 2017 Louisiana Book Festival WordShop, complete this form or call 225.219.9503.
Those signing up for two $45 half-day sessions only pay $85.
- Breaking News! The 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend is Back Home In Jefferson, Texas! - October 16, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Welcomes Guest Blogger, Author Camille Di Maio! - October 15, 2018
- BREAKING NEWS! The Pulpwood Queen Announces NEW VENUE for 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - October 3, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Is Now Accepting Bids for 2020 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - September 30, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is Beginning to See the Fruits of her Book Clubs “Literacy” Promoting Labors! - September 24, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen to be featured in New magazine, FENCEPOST! - September 22, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Declares Happy Book Birthday to OUR PRINCE OF SCRIBES! - September 18, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces, “I’m going to be a grandma, call me Mama Kat! - September 11, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is an Artist Sharing my Joy of Painting with all of YOU! - September 10, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces Poet, Tim Conroy Will do a Special Presentation at our 2019 Girlfriend Weekend! - September 6, 2018