Today’s post on “Feather Your Nest” is all about cats. Mine in fact, Ferrelina my gray and white rescued ferrel kitten and Rush, my sleek little tabby also a rescue. I have had so many pets through the years, dogs, cats, and my daughters had lizards, turtles, frogs, once a flying squirrel, hermit crabs, if they could catch it, we had a new pet. Once Lainie came in the house wearing lizard earrings as each one she caught clamped down on an ear lob. It was pretty alarming to say the least.
Another time when I went to move I was cleaning out Madeleine’s closet and found a shoe box. I opened the lid and there was this gigantic toad. It took up the whole box. She had forgotten about it, no telling how long it had been in there or what in the world it had lived on but it was very much alive. He found his new home by the back creek.
I had a pet cemetery at our home out in the woods near Jefferson, Texas. I cried buckets burying those pets amongst the pine and cedar trees and the hardest thing about leaving my home, leaving my pets there that had gone to pet heaven.
But now I live at Holly Lake Ranch with two constant cat companions. They sleep a lot but attach themselves to me wherever I may land in my house to read, write, watch films, or paint. They are as much a part of “feathering my nest” as all the other numerous collections throughout my little cabin in the woods, Murphy’s Law.
Every single morning I greet them, thank God that I woke up to see another day. I pet them thanking God for their loving companionship. I talk to them often and they have developed of way of talking to me in weird chirps, purrs, and yes, whines.
When I wrote my first book, “The Pulpwood Queens’ Tiara Wearing, Book Sharing Guide to Life” my editor cut my chapter on my pets. I am getting ready to do a new more in-depth revision and printing and that chapter is going back in. All I ever wanted in in life was to be loved and to love deeply. I received that in their unconditional love.
You see you want to know what a person is really like, their content of real character? Observe how they treat children, our seniors, and our pets and animals. I really, really pay attention to that now big time. So yes, I “feather my nest” with my loving fur balls. I have had dogs too, mostly my now grown daughters pets but had some pretty special pet dogs as a child too.
Enjoy the photos of what seem to be docile little balls of fluff. But Rush likes to dig in her claws when she nuzzles with me. Playful bites and sometimes a swipe when I walk by if do not pet her. Ferrelina always looks mad, she’s not. She’s truly one of the sweetest cats I have had in this world, a scarety cat mostly and a big head butter. Her voice is not pleasant, but she has a heart of gold.
This last photo below is of me and my sisters as kids. We never had a time when we did not have a kitten, cat, or dog in a photo. We always loved animals and still do. This photo was taken at my grandparents place when they moved into the outskirts of my home town Eureka, Kansas. I treasure this photo so much, left to right, Karen Lynn, Karol Laine, and Kathy Louise with our pet kittens.
Hope you “Feather Your Nest” with a rescue pet! Our animal charges are what make us more human, don’t you think?
Stay tuned tomorrow for another way I “Feather My Nest” and each month I will be featuring author, writer, or Pulpwood Queen Book Club member so stay tuned for this new feature.
Truly, Tiara Wearing, “Feather Your Nest” Sharing,
Kathy L. Murphy
Kathy L. Murphy
- The Pulpwood Gives List of Books That She Will Never Forget, 65, in Fact! - June 12, 2021
- The Pulpwood Queen Shares Ethan Hawke’s TEDTALK! - June 10, 2021
- The Pulpwood Queen Celebrates National Women’s Fiction Day! - June 8, 2021
- The Pulpwood Queen Updates from her Little Cabin in the Woods, Murphy’s Law! - June 5, 2021
- The Pulpwood Queen Shares Executive Director, Mandy Haynes Latest Endeavor - April 27, 2021
- The Pulpwood Queen Shares All New Reading Initiatives! - April 26, 2021
- The Pulpwood Queen Wants to Tell You A Story! - April 1, 2021
- The Pulpwood Queen Presents now through the end of April, 2022 Virtual Girlfriend Weekend Offer for $99! - March 23, 2021
- Breaking News! The Pulpwood Queen Welcomes Author, Robert Gwaltney as my NEW Co-host for my Book to Film Club! - March 16, 2021
- The Pulpwood Queen Counts Her Many Blessings One By One! - February 21, 2021