The Pulpwood Queens of Charleston, South Carolina (above)
Buryl Baty (1924–1954) was a winning athlete, coach, builder of men, and an early pioneer in the fight against bigotry. In 1950, Baty became head football coach at Bowie High School in El Paso and quickly inspired his athletes, all Mexican Americans from the Segundo Barrio, with his winning ways and his personal stand against the era’s extreme, deep-seated bigotry—to which they were subjected.
However, just as the team was in a position to win a third district title in 1954, they were jolted by an unthinkable tragedy that turned their world upside down. Later, as mature adults, these players realized that Coach Baty had helped mold them into honorable and successful men, and forty-four years after the coach’s death, they dedicated their high school stadium in his name.
In 2013, Baty was inducted posthumously into the El Paso Athletic Hall of Fame.
In this poignant memoir, R. Gaines Baty also describes his own journey to get to know his father. Coach Baty’s life story is portrayed from the perspectives of nearly one hundred individuals who knew him, in addition to many documented facts and news reports.
- The Pulpwood Queen Guest Blogger, Carol Megathlin! - May 19, 2019
- The Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend TIAJUANA ANDERSON NEEL Scholarship! - April 29, 2019
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces Calendar of Spring Into Summer Events! - April 10, 2019
- The Pulpwood Queen Reporting from the Road on Yet another ROAD TRIP with Tiajuana! - February 14, 2019
- Breaking News! The Pulpwood Queen Announces Official 2019 Book Club Selections and More! - January 22, 2019
- The Pulpwood Queen FINAL Press Release for 2019 Girlfriend Weekend Program! - December 29, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen’s #1 New Year’s Resolution is to OWN IT! - December 19, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Heads Book Club Members Up, Moves Them out, RAWHIDE to East Texas! - December 17, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Sharing her LOVE for All Things Jason Momoa! - December 13, 2018
- 2019 Official Program for Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend Book Club Convention! - December 4, 2018