I am passionate about many things, books, art, fashions, decorating, collecting, theater, music, films and breaking stereotypes. When I wrote my first book “The Pulpwood Queens’ Tiara Wearing Book Sharing Guide to Life” I talked at great length about not judging a book by it’s cover. I was interviewed once for a radio program in New York via phone from my hair salon/book store, Beauty and the Book. He kept making remarks, like, “Are you chewing gum as you backcomb that hair?” All because he knew I was a small town southern blonde hairdresser. He would not let me get a moment to speak out about the fact that I have been a beauty professional and attending training and workshops from New York to Los Angeles. I am not actually southern, I am from Kansas and my hair had been enhanced with highlights and color. Like Dolly Parton use to always say when told a dumb blonde joke, “First of all I am not blonde and I am sure not dumb.” Dolly my she-roe!
Or the time I attended the International Paper sponsored Woodland competition and heard the call for those who wished to compete in the chainsaw competition. I, as the Pulpwood Queen, stepped up to sign in on the clipboard. Wait a minute they cried, this is for men only. I asked, “You mean only men can run a chainsaw?” Laughing they said well, no it’s just that we usually we just have men sign up. I stood my ground and got a bunch of other women to sign up and I can proudly say I was the first ever Marion County Woodland Competition Chainsaw Champion. I also might add my time for my cuts was faster and beat most of the men who competed. You can read all about it my my book.
But I have been looking for films to go along with books that we will be reading for 2021 Official Pulpwood Queen Book Club Reads and this film, “Dangal” based on a true story popped up in my view. It is one of the most profound women’s empowerment films I have ever watched. You will be cheering for the two sisters competing!
Dangal is an extraordinary true story based on the life of Mahavir Singh and his two daughters, Geeta and Babita Phogat. The film traces the inspirational journey of a father who trains his daughters to become world class wrestlers. Release Date: 23rd December 2016 Starring: Aamir Khan, Sakshi Tanwar, Fatima Sana Shaikh, Sanya Malhotra, Zaira Wasim, Suhani Bhatnagar Directed By: Nitesh Tiwari Written By: Nitesh Tiwari, Shreyas Jain, Piyush Gupta, Nikhil Mehrotra. Here is the trailer and then film:
I so loved this film I want to share it with the world as I do with all the books I read. I was so empowered by the film I cannot wait to start on some other ideas I have to further enhance my Pulpwood Queen Book Club Reading experience. The Pulpwood Queens are all about championing causes and empowering women through reading and films. Please let me know how you like this film and now back to working on my sequel to my first book. It will be called “The Pulpwood Queen Goes Back To School”, both literally and figuratively but my continuing story on how books saved my life and can save yours too. Won’t you join me at www.thepulpwoodqueens.com?
Truly, Tiara Wearing, Book Sharing, and Women Daring!
Kathy L. Murphy
- The Pulpwood Queen Has So Much to Share this Friday! - November 20, 2020
- The Pulpwood Queen Interviews Author, Jim Markam of “Big Lucky”! - November 15, 2020
- The Pulpwood Queen has a Full Schedule of Events this Halloween Week! - October 26, 2020
- The Pulpwood Talks about one of her favorite films “Man’s Favorite Sport! - October 21, 2020
- The Pulpwood Queen Shares her first book ever, “Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood”! - October 20, 2020
- The Pulpwood Queen Shares Tonight’s Pre-Show Interview information for The Pulpwood Queen Film Club! - October 17, 2020
- The Pulpwood Queen Reads and Reviews, “A Dog’s Perfect Christmas”! - October 12, 2020
- The Pulpwood Queen Answers the Cry of the Meadowlark! - September 22, 2020
- The Pulpwood Queen Is Still Here, Make Each Day Count! - September 21, 2020
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces our Fall Line-up for Pulpwood Academy Online Book Club Authors Featured! - September 15, 2020