Welcome Official future Pulpwood Queen Book Club Author, Laurel Huber Davis of “The Velveteen Daughter” who will be featured at our up and coming annual convention that we call Girlfriend Weekend, January 11 – 14, 2018 at The Fredonia Hotel & Convention Center in historic Nacogdoches, Texas!
“The Velveteen Rabbit” is one of my all-time favorite reads as a child, as an adult and one that I loved to share with my children and other children. The perfect book on love so I know you will be excited about the NEW read from Laurel Huber Davis! I am thrilled she is coming to our big ta do and cannot stress how important it is for everyone to come this year. We have the best line up of authors ever and can all be seen on our Official website, www.thepulpwoodqueens.com. Keynotes are on the home page but we have dozens more listed in the Official program at top of the page of the website such as Laurel. So get your packages now, the best Christmas gift ever and this is the party I work on all year just for YOU to bring the best authors that we have read or will be read to YOU!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Remember too that ALL our Pulpwood Queen Book Club Selections are great holiday and year-round gifts that keep on giving. Don’t forget to VOTE for you favorite Book of the Year, Bonus Book of the Year and Cross Over Book of the year by December 15th! Your VOTES do count and it gets so close sometimes so let your voice be heard by sending your vote to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Last week of final portfolios and studio clean up then my college graduation! We will have a lot to celebrate this coming year so get on on board, your presence is required as this is the party I do all for YOU!
Truly, your queen,
Kathy L. Murphy
The Pulpwood Queen
I cannot wait to attend the Pulpwood Queen festival. But…it’s not going to be easy, I mean, what on earth shall I wear? I am leaning towards a flowing velvet gown and bunny ears. Let me explain:
For what I believe is the first time, The Velveteen Rabbit will be attending the Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! Okay, not exactly. But the famous children’s book will surely be in Texas in spirit as its themes resonate throughout my debut novel, The Velveteen Daughter.
My inspiration for the novel, strangely, is not what you’d expect….
We all know, of course, that The Velveteen Rabbit is a perennial bestseller, a true classic. Many readers have strong emotions when it comes to this beloved book by Margery Williams Bianco. But I never set out to write about Margery. One day in the summer of 2006 I was idly Googling another woman, Pamela Bianco, who had written and illustrated one of my beloved childhood books. When I discovered that Pamela had been a world-famous child prodigy artist in the early 20th century, I was fascinated. It was a couple of years later that I learned that her mother wrote The Velveteen Rabbit! To say I was hooked would be a vast understatement.
A decade after my initial discovery, my obsession with this subject has become The Velveteen Daughter. A close mother-daughter relationship, an overbearing husband/father, and the consequences of early fame, crippling naiveté, and mental illness are all a part of the fascinating story. Pamela and Margery are the stars of the show, but also appearing in this saga are Eugene and Agnes O’Neill (Agnes is Pamela’s cousin), Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, and Pablo Picasso!
The Velveteen Daughter is my first novel, and this will be the first time I will be attending the Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend—and I could not be more thrilled. So now back to where I started: I reserve the right to change my mind, but if you see someone running around wearing bunny ears, there’s good chance that person is me! I really look forward to meeting all of you.
- The Pulpwood Queen Declares Happy Book Birthday to OUR PRINCE OF SCRIBES! - September 18, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces, “I’m going to be a grandma, call me Mama Kat! - September 11, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is an Artist Sharing my Joy of Painting with all of YOU! - September 10, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces Poet, Tim Conroy Will do a Special Presentation at our 2019 Girlfriend Weekend! - September 6, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Morning Musing Since Turning 62! - August 29, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Updates On Our Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend And Featuring New Author Discoveries! - August 22, 2018
- Updates from The Pulpwood Queen on Author/Designer, Phebe Phillips and Mac Hargrove AND MORE BREAKING NEWS! - August 14, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen to be be featured in the book, “OUR PRINCE OF SCRIBES! - August 13, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen says, “If a picture is a thousand words, I say here is a whole tome!” - August 12, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Big REVEAL! Check out the Inside of my NEW GLAMPER! - August 9, 2018