Dear Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guy Book Club members and Book and Film Buffs!
Today’s guest blog is from Pulpwood Queen Author, Clea Simon and her take on Holiday Movies. I am such an odd duck as I watch all the regular like “It’s a Wonderful Life”, “The Bishop’s Wife” then I like to watch “Olive, the Other Reindeer” and “Nightmare Before Christmas”, and Wes Anderson films like “Fantastic Mr. Fox” with my now grown children. But year after year I go back to “Elizabethtown”, “Cold Comfort Farm”, “Waiting for Guffman”, I have some pretty eclectic tastes and have to recommend to the recent watching of “Mudtown” and “CoCo”! What is your favorite holiday film? Would love to hear all about it and tonight I am even going back and watching “To Kill a Mockingbird” and perhaps, a Pat Conroy book to film.
So now check out Clea’s blog and do note she will be one of our featured author at our annual book club convention. Not too late to get your package and to me the perhap Christmas present to anyone as it’a all about promoting authors, books, literacy, and reading ALL while having some BIG TIME FUN at www.thepulpwoodqueens.com. Program on top of page, membership and package at on Girlfriend Weekend menu, click then scroll down to big yellow buttons.
See you all soon and enjoy this blog!
Frodo Baggins is our George Bailey.
For some people, the holidays call for a re-watching of “It’s A Wonderful Life.” For us, it involves a trip to Mordor. Ever since my husband gave me a copy of “The Lord of the Rings” movies on DVD for Chanukah, watching them – in the extended version, of course – has become our holiday tradition. Starting sometime during Chanukah and finishing up, ideally, by New Year’s, we watch the entire set of films, an hour (or two or three) a night.
Like any bookworm, I have some problems with the film adaptation. Problems that Jon, who has never read the books, might not understand. So, for us, the annual viewing includes various rituals that only another Tolkien purist would understand, as when I stop the film to explain that, no, Lord Faramir would never consider taking the One Ring for himself, or that, no, the Ents don’t have to be fooled into joining the fight. As we’ve upgraded to a blue-ray version, I’ve perhaps stopped reciting the name of every weapon drawn in the battle of Helm’s Deep. Perhaps. Jon is very tolerant, even when I drag out my well-thumbed paperback editions to read aloud the pertinent passages (perhaps because he knows the dark days of winter will allow him to call for re-viewings of “The Godfather,” “Goodfellas,” and “Casino.”) Because, of course, the book is always best.
Do you have favorite movies or TV shows that signal the holidays to you? Poems or books you love to re-visit at this time of the year? Please share! I’d love to hear them – and the stories behind them.
During the too-brief daylight hours, I’ve been working on more stories for you readers. I have just sent off the revised manuscript of Fear on Four Paws, the seventh Pru Marlowe pet noir, which should be out next summer, and I’m waiting for the copy edits on Cross My Path, out this spring. And, yes, I’m also hard at work on the first Witch Cats mystery – more on that next newsletter! Happy Chanukah, everyone! And Merry Christmas and Joyful Kwanzaa to come! Here’s hoping that however you celebrate, this season is merry and warm.
- The Pulpwood Queen Headed to Westport, Connecticut on “Warrior Goddess” Art and Fashion Book Tour! - June 18, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Stops on Tour to Visit The Pulpwood Queen of Bristol, Virginia! - June 16, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Arrived in Memphis/Collier!ville, Tennessee to Visit Artist, Alisa Free! - June 15, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Hits the Road on her “Warrior Goddess” Pop-Up Art & Fashion Book Tour! - June 14, 2018
- Pulpwood Queen Book Club Author Ends Her East Texas Tour in Tyler, Texas! - June 14, 2018
- Pulpwood Queen Book Club Author of the Month Draws a Big Crowd on East Texas Tour! - June 12, 2018
- 2019 Working Program for Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend, January 17 – 19, 2019! - June 11, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen “Warrior Goddess” Pop-Up Art and Fashion Show Book Tour! - May 30, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Remembers Jane Ryder! - May 28, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Has a Scathingly Brilliant Idea! - May 27, 2018