Dear Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guy Book Club members and Book and Film Buffs!
Today’s guest blog is from Pulpwood Queen Author, Clea Simon and her take on Holiday Movies. I am such an odd duck as I watch all the regular like “It’s a Wonderful Life”, “The Bishop’s Wife” then I like to watch “Olive, the Other Reindeer” and “Nightmare Before Christmas”, and Wes Anderson films like “Fantastic Mr. Fox” with my now grown children. But year after year I go back to “Elizabethtown”, “Cold Comfort Farm”, “Waiting for Guffman”, I have some pretty eclectic tastes and have to recommend to the recent watching of “Mudtown” and “CoCo”! What is your favorite holiday film? Would love to hear all about it and tonight I am even going back and watching “To Kill a Mockingbird” and perhaps, a Pat Conroy book to film.
So now check out Clea’s blog and do note she will be one of our featured author at our annual book club convention. Not too late to get your package and to me the perhap Christmas present to anyone as it’a all about promoting authors, books, literacy, and reading ALL while having some BIG TIME FUN at www.thepulpwoodqueens.com. Program on top of page, membership and package at on Girlfriend Weekend menu, click then scroll down to big yellow buttons.
See you all soon and enjoy this blog!
Frodo Baggins is our George Bailey.
For some people, the holidays call for a re-watching of “It’s A Wonderful Life.” For us, it involves a trip to Mordor. Ever since my husband gave me a copy of “The Lord of the Rings” movies on DVD for Chanukah, watching them – in the extended version, of course – has become our holiday tradition. Starting sometime during Chanukah and finishing up, ideally, by New Year’s, we watch the entire set of films, an hour (or two or three) a night.
Like any bookworm, I have some problems with the film adaptation. Problems that Jon, who has never read the books, might not understand. So, for us, the annual viewing includes various rituals that only another Tolkien purist would understand, as when I stop the film to explain that, no, Lord Faramir would never consider taking the One Ring for himself, or that, no, the Ents don’t have to be fooled into joining the fight. As we’ve upgraded to a blue-ray version, I’ve perhaps stopped reciting the name of every weapon drawn in the battle of Helm’s Deep. Perhaps. Jon is very tolerant, even when I drag out my well-thumbed paperback editions to read aloud the pertinent passages (perhaps because he knows the dark days of winter will allow him to call for re-viewings of “The Godfather,” “Goodfellas,” and “Casino.”) Because, of course, the book is always best.
Do you have favorite movies or TV shows that signal the holidays to you? Poems or books you love to re-visit at this time of the year? Please share! I’d love to hear them – and the stories behind them.
During the too-brief daylight hours, I’ve been working on more stories for you readers. I have just sent off the revised manuscript of Fear on Four Paws, the seventh Pru Marlowe pet noir, which should be out next summer, and I’m waiting for the copy edits on Cross My Path, out this spring. And, yes, I’m also hard at work on the first Witch Cats mystery – more on that next newsletter! Happy Chanukah, everyone! And Merry Christmas and Joyful Kwanzaa to come! Here’s hoping that however you celebrate, this season is merry and warm.
- Breaking News! The 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend is Back Home In Jefferson, Texas! - October 16, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Welcomes Guest Blogger, Author Camille Di Maio! - October 15, 2018
- BREAKING NEWS! The Pulpwood Queen Announces NEW VENUE for 2019 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - October 3, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Is Now Accepting Bids for 2020 Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend! - September 30, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is Beginning to See the Fruits of her Book Clubs “Literacy” Promoting Labors! - September 24, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen to be featured in New magazine, FENCEPOST! - September 22, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Declares Happy Book Birthday to OUR PRINCE OF SCRIBES! - September 18, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces, “I’m going to be a grandma, call me Mama Kat! - September 11, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen is an Artist Sharing my Joy of Painting with all of YOU! - September 10, 2018
- The Pulpwood Queen Announces Poet, Tim Conroy Will do a Special Presentation at our 2019 Girlfriend Weekend! - September 6, 2018